Rankings and degrees in Social Work can be confusing, so here are the best online and on-campus social work degree programs and schools. The following rankings are intended to be used as tools that can help you navigate your career specialty choices within the social work field as well as choose the best social work degree program for your individual needs.
Our methodology is explained within each list but our mission remains true. We are here to help you gain the skills, experience, and also education necessary to help others.
Rankings and Degree pages:
Rankings and Degree posts:
- 10 Best Social Work Schools In North Carolina
- 15 Best International Social Work Degree Programs
- 15 Online Bachelor’s Degrees in Social Work
- 20 Best Online MSW Macro Degrees
- 25 Accredited Online Masters of Social Work Degree Programs
- 25 Best CSWE Accredited Online MSW Degree Programs
- 25 Best Online LCSW Degree Programs
- 25 Best Online Master of Public Administration
- 25 Best Master of Public Administration
- 25 Best Human and Social Services Bachelor’s Degrees
- 25 Best Human and Social Services Master’s Degrees
- 25 Best Human and Social Services Associate Degrees
- 25 Best Online Human and Social Services Master’s Degrees
- 25 Best Online Human and Social Services Bachelor’s Degrees
- 25 Best Online Associate in Human and Social Services Degrees
- 25 Accredited MSW Programs On-Campus
- 25 MSW Programs For Child Welfare Careers
- 25 Top Global Social Work Certificate Programs
- 30 Fastest Online Master of Social Work Degree Programs
- 50 Best Accredited Social Work Degree Campus Programs
- 50 Best CSWE Accredited Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs
- 50 Best Online Accredited Social Work Degree Programs
Social Work Degree Requirements
Requirements will vary greatly depending upon the position you choose, so go to the National Association of Social Workers for more specific information. Additionally, the Council on Social Work Education has identified more than 600 accredited social work programs in the United States, and its territories. A wide variety of programs offered by these schools provides the required training and also skills to employees entering today’s workforce.
Although standards vary, you’ll find that most states require practicing social workers to have a license, certification, or registration. So, go to the state regulatory board directly or the American Association of State Social Work Boards for a list of regulatory agencies or for a comparison of state regulations.
Meanwhile, selecting the ‘right educational program’ is essential to students, who are better able to meet the needs of their clients and patients. Finding the best social work degree program or social work school can be difficult, especially when searching online. Almost all social work degree programs require classroom study and also practical fieldwork. Additionally, the bachelor’s degree prepares graduates for generalist entry-level work.
Many employers prefer a Master’s degree in Social Work (MSW). However, practitioners must have an MSW to be a clinical social worker. But, in a few cases, a certification course combined with supervised field experience may be equivalent. Furthermore, if you intend to teach at a university level, a DSW or PhD is useful to have.